Sunday, August 26, 2012
It was a wonderful ceremony where the tutors made speeches about every student graduating and was followed by a wonderful dinner out at Lone Star restauramt (my favourite place to eat) with my beloved and my family.
Finding an outfit to fit my belly wasn't easy and I went with lower heels than I would usually wear as I didn't trust my balance with bubs on board while I was collecting my certificate onstage.
Top: Jacqui E
Skirt: Jacqui E
Shoes: Number 1 Shoes
Purse: Forever New
Necklace: Graduation gift from my beloved
Monday, August 13, 2012
Stockings: Columbine from Farmers
Mary Janes: Number 1 shoe warehouse
I love bright colours, in particular blues and reds but sometimes there are days where I just feel like wearing neutrals. I love the feel of this faux satin blouse and this is the only skirt I have at the moment that still fits over my growing belly.
And the shoes (aren't they preeeeety!!) are a latest buy that fit perfectly. I have really small, narrow feet and struggle to find shoes that fit well. I usually buy dance shoes (a mary jane style) as I know they will fit perfectly and I am really fussy about the fit. I tend to think if clothes and shoes fit really well they make the item look 20 times better. I love Mary Janes and these patent ones have a cute little heart dangling from the buckle. I have my Post Grad Teaching graduation coming up and they are one of 3 possibilities I have to choose from in my wardrobe to wear on the day.
Sunday, August 12, 2012
Dress: Jacqui E
Shoes: Dance Pacific
Purse: Forever newThis week we got to enjoy our anniversary presents-mine was a trip for 2 nights to Auckland to visit my dear friend Kinloch who I haven't seen in over 4 years. It was an absolute treat and we had so much fun catching up, giggling and chatting about what's been happening since we he moved overseas.
My gift to my beloved was concert tickets to see one his favourite singers-Kenny Rogers. I'm not a massive fan but certainly don't dislike his music and the concert was really enjoyable. Despite his age he performed well and he was really funny and charmed the audience well.
My iphone took terrible Auckland photos so these photos are just ones from the weekend-this is a pretty standard maternity outfit for me.
Which leads to....A word about maternity dressing....
I have found it extremely difficult finding flattering, feminine and dressy clothes throughout the pregnancy. Christchurch is a limited place to find clothes in general and for the first time I found that op shopping was not always the best place to find clothes as the styles I was looking for were even more limited than before and I am growing out of things every 2 weeks.
Here is a wee list of rules I have now shopping for pregnancy:
1) Do not buy anything in a fabric that doesn't stretch. This is so items last longer than 2 weeks while baby is growing so much. Polyester is great as it still looks dressy. This also means that the garment may pop back into a nice shape even after baby is born.
2) Always remember your signature style and what sort of look you want overall for your wardobe.
3) Don't, no matter hpw tempting, buy something just because it fits. This is particularly tempting after looking at 10 shops and not finding anything that isn't stretchy yoga pants that fit.
4) Look at blogs or google vintage maternity outfits to find styles that fit your look and will still be flattering. I found it frustrating continuously having shop assitants telling me to try 'casual' outfits on (read:trackpants). I wear the same stuff on days off as when I am working and don't so trackpants unless I am excersising. This meant I had to look long and hard to find dresses and skirts that were pregnant friendly that weren't a gigantic mumu.
5) Be patient and bring someone else with you if you can. They can remind you how quickly you are growing and whether you will fit it in 2 weeks, if it is flattering and if it suits your overall style. If you keep looking, you will find exactly what you are looking for, it just may not happen in one shopping trip.
6) Ask shop assistants for help and describe what you are looking for. I learnt quickly which assistants couldn't be bothered helping me and which ones understood what I was looking for. Often the best assistants have already had pregant customers (or co-workers) wanting similar outfits so this narrows the try-ons a lot. I found 2 great shops like this and ended up buying whole outfits from these 2 places.
7) Write a list of what you are looking for. This is a general life rule for me ;)
8) If you are planning on breast feeding, keep this in mind when buying-if the garment doesn't open at the front then I don't buy it as I want to be able to wear everything I have bought after baby is born.
6) Quality over quanity. Again a genneral shopping rule for me. Better to have 3 fantatsic and versatile dresses over 10 average ones.
7) Accessories! You will not grow out of earrings, a handbag, shoes or hats in 2 weeks.
So there are my pregnant shopping rules!
Saturday, August 4, 2012
VICTORY ROLLS AND FINDING OUT ABOUT OUR BABY'S SEX....
Today I tried my first attempth at a victory roll and it took forever! It is going to take me quite some time to get it perfect. What do you think?
This is an outfit I wore spending the day at home tidying up-we have recently moved house and have nearly finished getting every room unpacked and organized. (photos to come soon of the Art Deco house we now live in).
I have also just finished up work-I was working as a teacher at Lincoln High school (teaching Drama) and the job was actually covering someone elses maternity leave! I obviously didn't know I was pregnant when I got the job so it was quite a surprise! Baby boy is due in November but I have been unwell with the pregnancy (bubby is healthy but I have been sick with constant flu symptoms since the first trimester) so I resigned earlier to give me time to rest. It's lovely to be at home all the time and Toto is pretty darm happy about it too.
Pants: Cotton on
Snood: $2 shop in Dunedin
Thursday, August 2, 2012
2ND WEDDING ANNIVERSARY
Shoes: The Warehouse
Brooch: Gift from my dear friend Krista
We celebrated our 2nd Wedding Anniversary in the weekend. It was a lovely day of breakfast in the morning and Batman at the movies in the evening(which FYI was AWESOME). I can't believe it's been 2 years since we married, the time is gone so quickly!
This is one of the dresses I have bought during my pregnancy (99% of my pre-pregnancy wardrobe doesn't fit my bump). I have had to completely adapt my wardrobe and it's been interesting to see how little there is maternity wise available here. I am not one for trackpants or jeans so I have had to really shop around to find nice clothes that suit my style which has been tricky. It's amazing how quickly my bump is growing, I can feel bubby moving around all the time and kicking heaps, it's such a cool feeling! Only 3 months to go now, time is zooming by quickly! Will do a post soon on what sex bubby is!!